The Des Moines Public Library, through the use of volunteers, offers home delivery of library materials to library patrons who are unable to visit the library facilities due to a physical disability or illness. Any resident of Des Moines who is homebound due to physical disability or illness is eligible. Homebound service is a free service, relying on volunteers to do the delivery and pickup and library staff to select materials. Books in large print, books in regular size print, books on compact disc, music CDs and magazines are available for homebound service. Contact the Des Moines Public Library branch nearest your home and ask to speak to the homebound services librarian.
Request a Class or Group Visit
What We Offer
The Des Moines Public Library offers the following outreach opportunities for classrooms or youth groups:
- Literacy Nights: We encourage your school/community organization to bring both students and parents to a fun-filled evening at the library! Literacy Night at the library may vary by branch, but typically includes a scavenger hunt, tour of the collections/facility and the opportunity for families to sign up for library accounts. If your organization hosts a similar event on site, we can join you there! Ask if our reading mascot “Rosie” can join the fun!
- Simple Steps to Literacy Storytime: Geared toward preschool and elementary aged children. A Youth Services Specialist promotes and models the 5 simple things caregivers and educators can do with children to help them succeed: Read, Write, Talk, Sing and Play. We would love to host your group in the library or visit your site! Ask if our reading mascot “Rosie” can join the fun!
- Information Literacy and Research Skills: Geared toward upper elementary, middle and high school students. A Youth Services Specialist provides instruction and guidance on locating, evaluating and using both print and digital resources. The library can provide this outreach at your location or here in the library!
We appreciate advance notice of groups coming to use the library, even if you do not need any special services.
Guidelines for all groups
- We require at least four weeks advance notice for a tour or presentation
- Classes wishing to have a librarian visit must schedule at least four weeks in advance.
- Since we may not be able to accommodate all requests within a given time period, we suggest calling in advance.
- We cannot schedule your visit more than three months in advance.